About Me

My photo
Hi fellow bloggers, My name is Bridget Horsey and I'm a second year student currently studying the course Managing E Learning at CQ University, Noosa Hub. This blog page is a page where I will post comments reflecting on my thoughts and opinions on different digital tools associated with e. learning. I look forward to learning, expanding and enhancing my existing repertoire of technological competencies within the 21st century society we live in. Warm regards, Bridget Horsey.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Concept Mapping For Learning



Concept maps are effective tools for recording valuable information into different categories that link to each other. In doing so it categorizes the information into smaller sub-groups which make it easier for the brain to process and remember, rather than trying to memorize a large chunk of information. Effective concept maps use colour, images, curved lines and minimal words to describe the different categories. For my own learning I tried out two different online mind mapping tools (Bubbl.us and Text2Mindmap) to practice creating concept maps. Personally I preferred the Text2Mindmap as it allowed me to type the information I wanted to use in the mind map at once and then it created this into a mind map. This meant the process of creating the mind map was quick as I then only needed to add colour. However this particular tool did not allow me to add pictures to each category, which as a visual learner is a very important component of my learning, being able to associate images with information. As a student learning to become a Learning Manager I believe concept maps can be effective means of enhancing the learning processed by school students when used appropriatly.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bridget,
    I agree that concept maps are effective tools for recording valuable information. They are a great tool for students to organise and present their thoughts or knowledge - like a graphic organiser.
    I didn't think about the smaller sub-groups making it easier for our brains to process, an excellent point there. I know I have difficulty trying to retain a lot of information so I find it particulary helpful to have it all out infront of me and in a simple and legible manner.

    I didn't try Text2Mindmap so it is great to be able to see it in practice. Your concept map is much brighter, and as a visual learner too this is helpful for me to store information. Using Bubbleus, there was no option to colour the bubbles so I might try Text2Mindmap next time.

    Thanks Bridget!
    Kind regards,
    Elly Maynard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bridget,
    You had some interesting facts about mind maps. Both bubblus and Text2Mindmap had interesting features that could be easily used. Bubblus looks more polished when completed, however, Text2Mind was easy to type the information in and if there was more to say it was easy to edit. I thought these tools fitted in nicely with cognitivism as it chunked information. How did you propose to use these tools in the classroom? Were you thinking more from a teaching perspective or student learning and who was going to make the mind maps?
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen I agree, bubblus looked better appearance wise. This could be effective for visual learners who learn best by having visual tools to look at. Good point about cognitivism, I also agree. In regards to your question I thought in the classroom it could be used as a tool for the teacher and students. As a student I find using concept maps effective as I start of an assignment. I simply write down my assignment question and then have headings branching of, these state the different topics I want to cover, branching of these topics is dot points of the information I will include. This could be something you could ask your students to do when they are starting an assignment. In addition it could also be effective for students to make concept maps about particular topics as it will help their brain process and remember information and it is easy to refer to, rather than reading lots of information. Concept mapping can also be used for brainstorming ideas or information; this is something that students need to do all the time.
    Kind regards, Bridget

    ReplyDelete