About Me

My photo
Hi fellow bloggers, My name is Bridget Horsey and I'm a second year student currently studying the course Managing E Learning at CQ University, Noosa Hub. This blog page is a page where I will post comments reflecting on my thoughts and opinions on different digital tools associated with e. learning. I look forward to learning, expanding and enhancing my existing repertoire of technological competencies within the 21st century society we live in. Warm regards, Bridget Horsey.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Powerpoint



The above image is a screen print of a PowerPoint display I created. PowerPoint is one of the most popular forms of presenting information in the world. Since I was eleven I have been using PowerPoint as a student to present assignments to my peers and teachers and most commonly for aural speeches. Personally I love using PowerPoint as a prompt during speeches and as a means of displaying pictures and important points I want my audience to see. PowerPoint is very simple to use and with a good understanding of the software can be used to create creative interactive multimedia presentations. I am very excited to now learn more about PowerPoint, I was previously unaware that you could hyperlink slides and internet pages. This was exciting for me as it means I can hyperlink web pages to a slide on my PowerPoint. I have also learnt how to use cartoons to create animations. Unfortunately I did not understand how to create a quiz at the end of my PowerPoint presentation, can anyone help me with this? During my prac placement last year in a year 3 class on numerous occasions I used a PowerPoint as a way of presenting information to the students, I found it was an effective way of starting of a topic with the students. However it is important to always remember not to rely on the slide show as a way of teaching the students rather it is a teaching tool to help engage students. Please let me know what you think about PowerPoints and if you know anything else about them.
Warm regards, Bridget :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Bid,
    I also agree with you on the point that powerpoint is a great way to introduce a new topic. I found in my prac last year that students were more engaged in the information when they have a visual stimulus to associate with. I also found that students were more excited to do an assignment when they can use powerpoint to scaffold their presentation. They would sit at their computer and work on their assignment with out being distracted by others around them. They love using pictures and adding websites to extend their presentation further again.
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elise,
    Thankyou for your input, I completely agree with you. I believe the reason the students would work on their PowerPoint presentation without being distracted is because they are engaged, which just further enforces your statement that PowerPoint can be very engaging for students. This is great news as it means the student is learning about their topic and enjoying it.

    Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Elise,
    I thought you might be interested in looking at the following link to a slide show about powerpoint. I retrieved this link from Elly Maynards blog page and I think it is a great source of information.
    Cheers, Bridget.

    http://www.slideshare.net/guest7446625/benefits-of-using-powerpoint-in-the-classroom-1858886

    ReplyDelete
  4. After enquiring about PowerPoint’s again I realised that there are also negative aspects. In some cases the teacher focuses too much on the technology rather than the class. This means that the teacher will put all their energy into fancy PowerPoint presentation and when they present it they simply read of the PowerPoint and do not interact with the audience. Concentrating on the technical aspects of the presentation rather then what information is being taught. Therefore it is essential for teachers to remember to use PowerPoint as a tool to refer to but not to rely on it as a teaching device.

    ReplyDelete